Some of you, probably, have already known that I took participation as a reviewer of a book related to SharePoint 2013 disaster recovery while it was preparing for the publishing. It appeared, that during this month I will use it as the main reference guide for my work.
I have just recorded a short screencast for the beginners in SharePoint which should help understand what is SkyDrive Pro and how to use it. Probably, it could be useful for some of you who don’t know what is SkyDrive Pro yet. Enjoy watching
Probably, some of you have already known about SharePoint Community and are already its members. Those of you who don’t know about it yet, should definitely at least take a look at it. It is a very fast growing community and it already has more than 3000 members. It has really nice articles, features and benefits.
One of the cool features I have been looking for since I started working on SharePoint was online chat with other SharePoint administrators and developers. This community has it! It is pretty active so you can talk with other SharePoint guys in real time!
Also it has a lot of benefits for members. Today, I was one of the lucky people and have won a prize. It is a book which was donated and written in part by Jasper Oosterveld. The book is called The SharePoint 2013 Handbook: An insight by the SharePoint community. I have not started to read it yet, but will definitely do that in a few days.
So, I invite you to join this awesome community, because it is really worth it!
I have experienced this issue several times on different farms. After some manipulations with the workflow using SharePoint Designer or a web browser, occasionally, it started to be impossible to open published workflow. The others workflows continued to work as expected, whereas when I tried to open the one that started to misbehave it showed the following error message “Failed to load the workflow definition for the workflow”.
Several days ago I finally moved my blog to a new domain. Now its main location is http://sp2013.pro. Old domain (http://sp2013-blog.com) and old direct links will be either accessible for about a year, but it is better to update bookmarks even now.
I have prepared quite a few interesting posts, but for a while they are only in my mind and in some pieces of code. I hope I’ll find some time to publish them soon. So, stay tuned!
Yesterday I stumbled into an issue. My custom task outcome of SPD 2013 workflow stopped to function properly. It set to default value regardless of the Task Outcome I set programmaticaly in my custom ASP.NET task form.
My task settings looked as follows:
But when I pressed “Reject” or “Approve” button in my form, my ApprovalOutcome variable set to “Approved”. When I changed Default Outcome to “Rejected” this variable set to “Rejected” regardless of pressed button.
Sometimes when you work on workflows in SharePoint Designer you can not publish it, because the Check for Errors fails with the following mesage: “The workflow contains errors, but they are not visible in the current view”
Usually in this case you really can’t see the place where the error is and it seems like everything is OK.
I spent some time to understand where the error is when I saw this error the first time. Most likely it is an issue in SPD; however, it is rather simple to overcome it and force SPD to show the place the error is.
The solution: you just have to save your workflow (by pressing Save button in the ribbon), close it and open it again (by selecting it in the Navigation\Workflows and pressing the “Edit workflow” link).
After that you should be able to see what fields are set incorrectly:
You can press Check for Errors button to highlight all the errors with the red color:
I stumbled into this moment several times after copying-pasting my workflow. It seems like this new feature works well in the most parts of the workflow, except the Transition to stage part. At least, in my cases after pasting I had to repair fields in the Transition to stage part only.
Yesterday I copied and pasted one of my 2013 SPD workflows to a new one. All passed well, but my workflow failed on the start with the following error:
RequestorId: 1a9862c8-3314-4e2a-a3e8-85d79f2cd7c9. Details: System.ArgumentException: ContentTypeId
at Microsoft.Activities.Hosting.Runtime.Subroutine.SubroutineChild.Execute(CodeActivityContext context)
at System.Activities.CodeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)
at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)
The words about ContentTypeId helped me to identify the cause of the issue quickly. In my new workflow task list defered from the one in the old. Hence, it didn’t have my custom task content types and WF failed when tried to create a task.
Today I stumbled into the following error message while was publishing SPD 2013 workflow:
Errors were found when compiling the workflow. The workflow files were saved but cannot be run.
Microsoft.Workflow.Client.WorkflowCommunicationException: The request was aborted: The request was canceled. Client ActivityId : 7a290e9c-0917-7088-afc4-e65fd25c5c0b. ---> System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: The request was canceled. ---> System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException: The requested service, 'net.pipe://localhost/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/appsts.svc' could not be activated. See the server's diagnostic trace logs for more information.
Server stack trace:
Another symptom is that workflow cancels on start with the following error message: